Friday, May 9, 2014

May the 4th Be with you....and Happy Anniversary TMNT!!!

WHAT IT LOOK LIKE INTERNET!!!


I have had another busy, active week! Still enjoying all the love of Free Comic Book Weekend! Working an Artist Alley style table has certainly put a taste in my mouth I cannot forget and eagerly desire more of! Stay Tooned for more public appearance action!!!

So this week were honoring Star Wars...a film series I loved deeply till maybe 4 years ago when something in my head just said... you had a good run my friend, but we're so over. Still got mad respect for the art and vision of George Lucas, Lucasfilm and now Disney (of course I love Disney) but yeah, with age comes wisdom, and far less patience. I think the repetitive nature of the new content wore me out. 

So to motivate me to scribble something I choose to gender bend Darth Vader at the latest Drink & Draw Cleveland. It must've been pretty good for I won a prize for the night! Now you can be the judge! 


About 30 min. brush in pen, white gelly roll pen on some very poopy paper. 



This week is also the 30th Anniversary of the original TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES comiczine! 

Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird's TMNT was very influential to me as a young lad with dreams of drawing comics for a living. Growing up I was way into comic strips, cartoons with anthropomorphic characters or just any animal doing human things. They always seemed to be able to do stuff and say things that people couldn't or things that we as humans would think was taboo. I mean come on man, how many times can Bugs Bunny dress like a woman and kiss a man and nobody see's the weirdness way back in the 50's-60's, but see a human do it and everyone's like...OH NO's! 

TMNT really broke a lot of taboos...first they were kids, teenagers..ninjas...assassins and the original comic was bloody and violent as hell...so yeah lets make this a Saturday morning cartoon for kids...its wholesome family entertainment. Dude, really? Yeah they dumbed it down, but after seeing the toon, I wanted the toys, then eventually the graphic novels...Which blew my mind. Simple story, simple art, made by two dudes who just had  crazy idea one night farting around the apartment. Hey I can do that!! 

So in the spirit of the boys that inspired me, and to hook a friend up with an art swap, for during FCBD my most popular free sketch was the turtles and everything I had turtle flew off the table! Here is a full color illo of Slash...looking...slashy. 


About 2 hours, pen & ink, prismacolor markers on not as poopy bristol board. 
Original Size 11x14. 

Thanks for reading!!! If your at all interested in stalking me on a frequent basis, Holla at ya boy over on one of these lovely social media sites! I love to make new friends and fans!!! 




1 comment: